ADVERTISE HERE
File photo of a housing project for illustration purposes.By Karen Bong
KUCHING, May 19: A total of 22 out of 59 identified sick housing projects in Sarawak have been successfully completed through government’s intervention, underscoring ongoing efforts to safeguard homebuyers and rehabilitate troubled developments.
Minister of Public Health, Housing and Local Government Datuk Amar Dr Sim Kui Hian said that from 2016 until May 16, 2026, a total of 1,317 developer licences were issued across the State.
“As of April 30, 2026, the Ministry had identified 59 projects as problematic housing developments.
“Of these, 22 sick housing projects have been successfully completed through ministry intervention, while four projects are partially completed and two have been fully resolved. The remaining 30 projects are currently under close monitoring at various stages of intervention, and one project was declared abandoned last year,” he updated the august House when delivering his ministerial winding up speech today.
Dr Sim noted that the proportion of problematic housing projects remains relatively low, representing about 4.5 per cent of all licensed developments statewide, compared to the total number of approvals issued.
He added that the ministry has also recorded positive intervention outcomes in 28 projects, effectively reducing the proportion of problematic projects to about 2.35 per cent.
“This reflects the government’s continued commitment towards rehabilitating affected developments and protecting homebuyers’ interests,” he said.
Dr Sim assured that the Ministry will continue to closely monitor all identified cases and work with relevant stakeholders to ensure recovery measures are implemented responsibly and effectively, with the aim of safeguarding purchasers and restoring confidence in the housing sector. — DayakDaily

1 hour ago
5








English (US) ·