File photo for illustration purposes only. Photo: Gerd Altmann/Pixabay

Advertisement

By DayakDaily Team

KUCHING, May 21: A 47-year-old local man lost RM117,600 after falling victim to an online scam involving a fraudulent tender offer to supply tables and chairs for a school canteen.

Kuching District Police Chief ACP Alexson Naga Chabu confirmed that the Commercial Crime Investigation Division (CCID) of the Kuching District Police Headquarters has received a report regarding the incident.

Advertisement

“The victim reportedly received a WhatsApp message from an unknown individual offering a supposed supply contract for SMK Siburan on May 20, 2026, at about 9.30am while at a coffee shop in Jalan Padungan, Kuching.

“He was then provided with several contact numbers claimed to belong to the supplier to facilitate the transaction,” he said in a statement today.

Believing the offer to be legitimate, the victim proceeded to make five separate money transfers into three different bank accounts on the same day, totalling RM117,600.

However, he later discovered he had been deceived after checking directly with SMK Siburan, which confirmed that no such purchase or tender had been made.

Alexson said the case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property.

If convicted, the offence carries a jail term of not less than one year and up to ten years, along with whipping and a possible fine. — DayakDaily