81 dilapidated school projects completed in S’wak, 40 pending funding review

1 hour ago 5
ADVERTISE HERE
Sagah at a press conference held at the State Legislative Assembly (DUS) complex on May 18.

Advertisement

By Amanda L

KUCHING, May 18: Sarawak’s efforts to address dilapidated schools continue to progress, with 81 projects completed. However, funding constraints and rising construction costs are expected to affect the completion of the remaining 40 projects.

Sarawak Minister for Education, Innovation and Talent Development (MEITD) Dato Sri Roland Sagah Wee Inn said the upgrading works are part of a RM1 billion allocation aimed at improving safety and learning conditions in school infrastructure across the State.

Advertisement

He said the completed projects involve phased refurbishment and upgrading of school buildings identified as dilapidated, aimed at improving overall school facilities across Sarawak.

“Addressing dilapidated schools remains a top priority. While education is under federal jurisdiction, my Ministry, in collaboration with relevant agencies, will proactively monitor implementation and identify critical needs for intervention,” he said.

He said this during his ministerial winding-up speech at the State Legislative Assembly (DUS) complex today.

Sagah said the State government remains committed to ensuring that all students have access to safe and conducive learning environments, particularly in rural and interior areas.

On the implementation status, he later told a press conference that 40 projects remain under the programme with financial constraints and rising construction costs expected to influence their completion.

He said funding for school infrastructure comes through multiple mechanisms, including federal allocations for maintenance and development, as well as State-funded initiatives.

“We need to secure funding first. If you look at the federal budget, allocations are made every year. That is separate from school maintenance,” he said.

He added that maintenance allocations are often limited and vary between schools, with federal funding also supporting both new school construction and upgrading of dilapidated facilities, while the RM1 billion allocation from the Sarawak government had previously supported the programme.

On the remaining works, he said cost estimates for the remaining projects had already been completed but may need to be reviewed in line with current market conditions.

“Now we are in the process of estimation. Actually, it has been completed, but we may need to review it according to current conditions,” he said.

He added that agencies such as the Public Works Department (JKR) and the Sarawak Education Department (JPNS) would continue to review and realign project requirements based on present conditions.

When asked about the completion timeline, Sagah said the remaining projects are still ongoing with no fixed deadline set as cost estimates and funding requirements are under review. — DayakDaily

Read Entire Article