ADVERTISE HERE

Perikatan Nasional (PN) Sarawak Youth chief Alexander Frusis
KUCHING (Feb 19): Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) Sarawak remains intact and continues operating as usual despite the mass resignations of members from its Bintulu division and Julau chief, said information chief Alexander Frusis.
He confirmed receiving copies of the resignation letters of Bersatu Bintulu chief Duke Janteng and Julau division chief Dr Ambrose Labang, which were addressed to party president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
“The operations of the Bintulu division will be taken over by the state leadership body, with a pro tem committee to be formed following a meeting of the party’s supreme council.
“As for the Julau division, no formal resignation had been submitted by the divisional committee, with only the chief stepping down. Therefore, the division will be led in an acting capacity by the deputy chief in accordance with the party’s constitution,” he said in a statement.
Alexander further claimed that Bersatu’s state leadership had received evidence that both former division chiefs were involved in efforts to remove Muhyiddin last October, which were allegedly led by former deputy president Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainuddin.
“We have received proof of their involvement in attempts to unseat the president in October last year,” he claimed.
Alexander explained with their resignations, both Duke and Ambrose have relinquished their positions as deputy chief and committee member respectively at the state leadership level.
Bersatu Bintulu became the first division in Sarawak to collectively resign and exit the party.
Duke was cited as saying Bersatu Bintulu members no longer have confidence in Muhyiddin’s leadership as the party had strayed from its original struggle, particularly in championing the interests of Sarawak’s indigenous people.
According to Duke, all division committee members, sub-branch chiefs, and wing leaders, representing more than 2,000 registered members in Bintulu, had tendered their resignations.
On Feb 13, Hamzah – who was then Bersatu deputy president – was sacked from Bersatu amid a deepening power struggle within the party.
It had been reported that the decision to expel Hamzah, the leader of the opposition in the Dewan Rakyat, was made by the party’s disciplinary council, citing a breach of Clause 9.1.4 of the party’s constitution.
At least three other lawmakers were also reportedly sacked under the same clause: Gerik MP Fathul Huzir Ayob, Padang Rengas MP Azahari Hasan, and Machang MP Wan Ahmad Fayhsal Wan Ahmad Kamal.

1 hour ago
6








English (US) ·