BN, GPS and GRS have reaffirmed support for PM, says Fahmi

1 hour ago 5
ADVERTISE HERE

The government spokesman says Anwar Ibrahim thanked the coalitions for their commitment.

Government spokesman Fahmi Fadzil said the commitment shown by Barisan Nasional, Gabungan Parti Sarawak, and Gabungan Rakyat Sabah underscores the priority placed on safeguarding the interests of the people and the country. (Bernama pic)
PETALING JAYA:

Barisan Nasional, Gabungan Parti Sarawak, and Gabungan Rakyat Sabah have reaffirmed their support for Anwar Ibrahim’s administration until the end of its term, government spokesman Fahmi Fadzil said.

Fahmi said the prime minister thanked the coalitions for their commitment.

“This commitment underscores the priority placed on safeguarding the interests of the people and the country,” the communications minister told reporters after today’s Cabinet meeting.

On Sunday, Anwar was reported as hinting that he might call an early general election if tensions within the unity government continued to worsen.

Anwar, who is also the Pakatan Harapan chairman, said he would meet coalition leaders to discuss the matter, following Johor BN’s declaration that it intended to contest all 56 seats in the next state election.

Johor PH later said it would also contest all 56 seats.

Ties between PH and BN were also tested last month after 14 BN assemblymen in Negeri Sembilan withdrew support for menteri besar Aminuddin Harun, of PKR, following a controversy involving the state royalty.

Despite this, Umno later pledged continued support for the unity government in Negeri Sembilan in the interest of political stability.

Separately, Fahmi said the government would ask the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission to engage with the media regarding concerns over privacy in its plan for social media age verification involving those under 16.

He said the use of official documents such as MyKad for age and identity verification was already common practice in Malaysia.

“In terms of policy, we are aware that in our country today, documents such as MyKad and others are already being used for verification, including for e-wallet usage.

“As such, from a policy perspective, we see no contradiction in implementing age verification using official government documents when other sectors in the country already follow similar policies,” he said.

Fahmi also said personal data protection laws would apply in handling such information.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.

Read Entire Article