ADVERTISE HERE
Dato Idris Buang (top left) presides over an exchange between Dato Sri Roland Sagah Wee Inn (bottom left) and Chong Chieng Jen (bottom right) during the Sarawak Legislative Assembly sitting on May 18, 2026. Photo credit: Sarawak Public Communication Unit (UKAS) livestreamBy Shikin Louis
KUCHING, May 18: The use of older school buses under Sarawak’s Free School Bus Programme came under scrutiny in the Sarawak Legislative Assembly (DUS) today, after questions were raised over compliance with vehicle age regulations and permit approvals.
Sarawak Minister for Education, Innovation and Talent Development Dato Sri Roland Sagah Wee Inn, when tabling his ministerial winding-up speech, said that all 30 buses used under the programme, including five aged above 30 years, had been certified roadworthy by Computerised Vehicle Inspection Centre (PUSPAKOM).
However, Padungan assemblyman Chong Chieng Jen interjected, arguing that despite passing inspections, national regulations prohibit vehicles older than 30 years from being used as school buses or public transport vehicles.
“Given that regulation, school buses above 30 years of age were not issued permits. And without the permit, should there be any accidents occurring, insurance will not be paying for the victims,” he said.
He then urged the Sarawak government to consider financial assistance for operators to replace ageing buses, saying it would not require a large allocation.
In response, Sagah maintained that the buses had been allowed to operate by the relevant authorities, and suggested that Chong refer the matter to the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (LPKP) chairman Michael Kong Feng Nian, whom he noted was Chong’s “special assistant”.
“They want to use it and the authorities certified it, allowed it and permitted it to be used. We are not there to decide for them. In any event, I hope Padungan, please refer this to him. I am putting it back to you to regularise it.
“If you think we are wrong, then your chairman there in LPKP is even ‘wronger’. Refer it back to them,” he stressed.
Chong later stood under Standing Order 33(2)(p), accusing Sagah of misleading the House, insisting that permits were not issued for the five buses above 30 years old.
Sagah, however, declined to engage further and continued with his winding-up speech. — DayakDaily

1 hour ago
5








English (US) ·