It was PH Govt that cancelled Kch-Miri, Kch-Bintulu, Kch-Sibu direct flights, says GPS Minister

58 minutes ago 5
ADVERTISE HERE
Composite photo of Dato Sri Lee Kim Shin (left) and Chong Chieng Jen. Photo credit: Sarawak Information Department (Japen)

Advertisement

By Lian Cheng

KUCHING, May 18: AirBorneo does not fly Kuching-Miri, Kuching-Sibu and Kuching-Bintulu routes because they are discontinued from Rural Air Service (RAS) Public Services Obligation (PSO) framework in 2019 under Pakatan Harapan Federal Government.

Transport Minister Dato Sri Lee Kim Shin stated this in response to Padungan assemblyman Chong Chieng Jen (PH-DAP) and stressed that his ministry has already written to the Ministry of Transport Malaysia requesting reinstatement of these routes under PSO for AirBorneo to fly.

Advertisement

He said AirBorneo is currently in transition following the acquisition of MASwings, with the long-term aim of strengthening Sarawak’s regional air connectivity, in response to Chong (PH-DAP) last week queries when debating Motion of Thanks on TYT’s Address.

“Peak festive fares should not be portrayed as normal fares, as airfare pricing depends on demand, aircraft availability, operational costs and market conditions.

“Current routings are part of the RAS operation based on PSO framework inherited from MASwings operational structure and will be reviewed under AirBorneo’s long-term network plan.”

On May 14 (Thursday), when debating Motion of Thanks on TYT’s Address, Chong had questioned: “When the Sarawak govt proposed MASWings to establish AirBorneo and take it from MAG (Malaysia Aviation Group), Sarawakians were promised the sky, with cheaper airfare, better connectivity. However that remains an illusion that has been shattered two months ago, or a month ago, during the Hari Raya holidays—AirBorneo tickets from Kuching to Sibu were more expensive than AirAsia tickets. Why is it so?

“And instead of flying from Kuching to Sibu directly, one had to fly from Kuching to Miri and then back to Sibu, taking passengers for an expensive ride throughout the whole journey. So my question to the government: how much did the State government pay to MAG
to take over MASwings to establish this AirBorneo airline? Number two, when will the promises made to the people — namely cheaper flights and better connectivity — be realised?”

In answering to Chong, Lee also pointed out that AirBorneo has already offered seasonal discounts of 20 per cent off their usual fare prices for the Hari Raya Aidilfitri travel period and will continue to do so for other festive seasons, similar to the recent Kaamatan and Gawai promotions.

“Therefore, the public is advised to plan their travels and purchase their tickets early to avoid disappointment,” said Lee when delivering his ministerial winding up speech at Sarawak Legislative Assembly here today.

He said the exercises on the acquisition of MASwings from Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) by AirBorneo is being undertaken through the relevant corporate entities and agencies.

“The transaction details involve commercial, regulatory, operational and strategic considerations. Certain terms remain subjected to formal processes and confidentiality obligations.

“The transaction also does not fall directly under the operational or commercial authority of my Ministry. Relevant information will be shared through official channels where appropriate,” said Lee who is Senadin assemblyman (GPS-SUPP).

In addition, Lee said AirBorneo will strive to progressively develop its operational capabilities, fleet planning and route network.

“The Sarawak Government is also firm in its commitment to provide better connectivity and more sustainable air services, but such transformation cannot be realised overnight.

“What is important is that, for the first time, the Sarawak Government is taking direct and proactive responsibility in shaping the future of regional aviation connectivity for Sarawak instead of depending entirely on other external aviation service providers,” said Lee. —DayakDaily

Read Entire Article