LPKP suspends operator’s vehicle licences, orders speed limiters and GPS tracking after fatal crashes

1 hour ago 6
ADVERTISE HERE
A fatal accident in Sibu earlier this year involving a cement mixer. Photo credit: LPKP Sarawak

Advertisement

by DayakDaily Team

KUCHING, May 20: The operator of a commercial vehicle company involved in two fatal crashes this year has been ordered to install Speed Limitation Devices (SLD) and GPS tracking systems on all its vehicles within six months.

The operator has also been mandated to undergo comprehensive safety training and education programmes involving all drivers and employees to strengthen road safety awareness, while improving discipline, attitude, and accountability in the operation of commercial vehicles.

Advertisement

The directive was announced by Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (LPKP) Sarawak chairman Michael Kong after the board decided to suspend the licences of the operator’s two cement mixers involved in separate fatal accidents this year.

According to a statement issued today, the latest incident occurred on April 21, 2026, when a 39-year-old man died on the spot after being hit by a cement mixer.

Describing the incident as deeply tragic, Kong said LPKP Sarawak immediately instructed its Jawatankuasa Pengesyoran Tindakan Penggantungan atau Pembatalan Lesen to work with the police and the Road Transport Department (JPJ) to investigate the case and recommend appropriate action against the operator involved.

Investigations later revealed that the same operator had also been involved in another fatal accident in Sibu on Feb 10, 2026, when one of its cement mixers overturned and crushed a Toyota Hilux.

“With two fatal incidents within a short span of time, this clearly indicates a serious lapse that cannot be ignored,” he said.

“Public safety must always come first. These incidents serve as a stark reminder that any lapse in safety standards can have devastating consequences.

“LPKP Sarawak will continue to take firm, decisive, and uncompromising action against operators who fail to meet the required standards. We will not tolerate negligence, and we will not hesitate to take drastic measures when the safety and lives of the public are at risk,” he added. – DayakDaily

Read Entire Article