Safiee (seated, third right) and others with the recipients of the compensation cheque presentation ceremony for the ‘missing link’ road project at the IAC in the Sarikei Division on May 22, 2026. Photo: Ukas

Advertisement

By DayakDaily Team

KUCHING, May 22: The ‘missing link’ road project connecting Jalan Nanga Bangkit and Muara Lebaan to Jalan Sibu–Tanjung Manis is set to spur local economic development and is expected to be completed under 30 months.

Daro assemblyman Dr Safiee Ahmad said that while the project covers just 5.6km, it will play a crucial role in completing the existing road network and enhancing connectivity to the coastal road and major highways in the area.

Advertisement

In a Sarawak Public Communication Unit (Ukas) report, he said that the new road will unlock the development potential of land along its route, particularly privately owned land that has remained underdeveloped due to limited road access.

He also expressed confidence in the Public Works Department’s (JKR) close monitoring as the implementing agency in ensuring that the project gets completed on time.

“So far, no issues have come up, and the project has shown encouraging progress,” he said to the media after attending a compensation cheque presentation ceremony for the project at the Integrated Administrative Centre (IAC) in the Sarikei Division today.

During the event, 18 compensation cheques amounting to RM146,986.56 were presented to 16 landowners affected by land acquisition for the project.

He said the compensation payments reflect the government’s commitment to safeguarding the rights of landowners while ensuring development projects can proceed smoothly and without delay.

He added that the strong cooperation shown by residents has helped expedite the project’s implementation, allowing the community to enjoy its benefits at the earliest opportunity. — DayakDaily