ADVERTISE HERE
Abdul Karim holding up the texts for his ministerial winding-up speeches in DUS on May 19, 2026. Photo: Sarawak Public Communication Unit (Ukas)By Doreen Ling
KUCHING, May 19: The Sarawak Ministry of Youth, Sports, and Entrepreneur Development (MYSED) has been entrusted with 40 projects worth RM422 million under the 13th Malaysia Plan (13MP) from 2026-2030, including sports facility upgrades for the SEA Games 2027 and refurbishment works for several civic centres Statewide.
According to its minister, Dato Sri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah, it consists of 15 12th Malaysia Plan (MP) continuation projects, 13 Projek Rakyat, 11 projects involving SEA Games venues upgrading and refurbishment works, and one new project involving upgrading work on the Sibu Civic Centre.
In delivering his ministerial winding-up speech at the Sarawak Legislative Assembly (DUS) sitting today, he said as of the second quarter of 2026, three 13MP projects, with a total ceiling cost of RM7.4 million, have been completed.
The three projects are the upgrading of Dewan Suarah Baram in Marudi and the refurbishment of the Dewan Suarah Mesra Mukah, as well as the Batang Sadong Sports Complex project, which only involved land acquisition and was completed last month.
“The overall ongoing 13MP projects are progressing well, with 70 per cent at various planning stages, 20 per cent under construction, and 7.5 per cent fully completed. In addition, one non-physical project is currently under revision by my ministry,” he said.
Meanwhile, on Projek Rakyat, Abdul Karim said that three projects totalling RM20.25 million are being implemented, which include the Bau Sports Arena project, scheduled for completion this month.
“Our implementing agency, the Public Works Department (JKR) of Sarawak, is working closely with all the relevant agencies to expedite the project completion,” he said.
The Permyjaya Sports Hub project, which was recently approved for RM9 million, is expected to start in the third quarter of 2026 and be completed by 2029.
Stadium Taha Ariffin, which was approved last year, has been allocated RM7.05 million under Projek Rakyat, which involves upgrading and renovation works.
“The upgrading works are expected to start this year after the completion of the Malaysian Super League 2025/2026 (MSL) season,” he said. — DayakDaily

1 hour ago
5








English (US) ·