Batu Kawa flood mitigation projects to be completed by next year, says Dr Sim

1 hour ago 4
ADVERTISE HERE

Dr Sim speaks to reporters when met after the event. – Photo by Jude Toyat

KUCHING (Feb 22): All flood mitigation projects in Batu Kawa, including drainage upgrades and retention ponds, will be completed by next year, assured Deputy Premier Datuk Amar Dr Sim Kui Hian.

Dr Sim, who is Public Health, Housing and Local Government Minister and Batu Kawah assemblyman, said the projects are either completed or currently underway.

“By next year, all the local issues, the drains and the retention pond, whatever we need to do locally, will be done,” he told reporters when met during a Chinese New Year open house at Ang Cheng Ho Quarry Multipurpose Hall here on Saturday.

He said the Sarawak government has allocated more than RM200 million for flood mitigation works in Batu Kawa.

“The local one in Batu Kawa, we spent more than RM200 million. That one is paid by the Sarawak government,” he said.

Dr Sim said while infrastructure improvements will address immediate concerns, a larger solution is needed for flooding along Sungai Sarawak.

“But we still need to address Sungai Sarawak. If water keeps coming out along the kampung by the river, nothing can be done unless relocation — but no one wants to move because the land is expensive here,” he said.

He explained that the Sungai Sarawak Bypass Canal, a federal government-funded project costing RM2.4 billion, is currently in the design stage before moving to tender.

“Sungai Sarawak Bypass is funded by the federal government at the cost of RM2.4 billion. Flood mitigation is a concurrent responsibility between the federal and state governments.

“It is still being designed. Let the federal government call for tender. It will definitely be this year, hopefully sooner,” he said.

Dr Sim said the six-kilometre canal will begin in Batu Kawa and extend towards Sungai Salak before discharging into the South China Sea.

The project will also include a barrage structure in Batu Kawa to regulate water flow.

According to him, once completed, the bypass canal is expected to divert up to 60 per cent of water flow from Sungai Sarawak.

“Once the Sungai Sarawak Bypass is done, 60 per cent of water will be channelled through there to the South China Sea instead of flowing everywhere.

“So imagine Sungai Sarawak now — the water will be 60 per cent less,” he added.

Dr Sim said the project followed discussions and a briefing presented to Premier Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg earlier this month by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Amar Fadillah Yusof, who oversees federal water-related agencies.

“I cannot thank Datuk Amar Fadillah enough for helping us secure the RM2.4 billion,” he said.

He added that with both the works in Batu Kawa and the Sungai Sarawak Bypass Canal, flood risks are expected to be significantly reduced once the projects are completed.

Read Entire Article