Bawang Assan rep accuses SUPP of ‘blame shifting’ over Feb 13 Sibu building collapse

1 hour ago 3
ADVERTISE HERE

Wong says the move amounted to political manoeuvring to deflect attention from the present ministry’s responsibilities following the incident. – Photo by Roystein Emmor

SIBU (Feb 21): Bawang Assan assemblyman Datuk Seri Wong Soon Koh has rebutted accusations by the six Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) branches, describing their call for him to explain a 2011 building approval as an attempt at “cross-temporal blame shifting” over the Feb 13 collapse of a corner shoplot at Jalan Pahlawan here.

In a statement, Wong, who is former State Local Government Minister, said the move amounted to political manoeuvring to deflect attention from the present ministry’s responsibilities following the incident.

He also criticised State Minister of Public Health, Housing and Local Government Datuk Amar Dr Sim Kui Hian, accusing him of remaining “missing in action” during the crisis while allowing party branches to issue statements attacking critics.

“This is not only administrative incompetence but moral cowardice,” he said, responding to the SUPP branches’ assertion that as local government minister in 2011, he should account for decisions made when the building was constructed.

The controversy arose after Federal Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing criticised Dr Sim for allegedly ignoring calls to improve drainage and carry out desilting works, which he suggested could have contributed to the collapse.

SUPP later shifted focus to Wong’s tenure in office via its Pelawan, Bukit Assek, Bawang Assan, Nangka, Dudong, and Sibu Jaya branches.

Wong said building approvals were institutional decisions, not personal ones, and stressed that the integrity of government processes must not be undermined.

“SUPP’s insistence that I explain approvals granted in 2011 is not merely an attack on me personally.

“It is an insult to the professionalism and integrity of the entire Sarawak Government and the relevant engineering experts.

“It is even an affront to the authority of the State Planning Authority (SPA), the highest body responsible for approving building developments,” he said.

He explained that all developments must first obtain approval from the SPA, a statutory body vested with powers over land use and urban planning.

Upon completion, developers are responsible for maintenance for six months before handing over the property to the municipal council.

“I believe the approvals granted by SPA at the time were based on statutory technical assessments and reports. If Dr Sim believes there were irregularities, he has full access to all records.

“Why not initiate an internal investigation into SPA instead of allowing six Sibu SUPP branch members to make reckless public accusations?

“Such conduct is highly unprofessional and erodes public confidence in the Sarawak government,” he said.

Wong noted that during his tenure as the local government minister from 2011 to 2016, no similar collapse occurred at the Pahlawan Road shoplots.

“Yet now a collapse has occurred on the eve of Chinese New Year — a tragedy no one wishes to see,” he added.

He said building safety is subject to changing geological conditions and surrounding developments, and that the fragile soil condition along Pahlawan Road has long been known.

Wong questioned how many dynamic monitoring inspections had been conducted by the ministry under the current administration and whether preventive ground stabilisation measures or proactive safety management plans had been implemented.

“If every incident is conveniently blamed on a former minister, does that not render the current minister irrelevant and unfit for office?

“Is SUPP attempting to divert attention because it dares not admit present failures?” he questioned.

He added that the ministry responsible for housing and local government bears constitutional and administrative responsibility for public infrastructure failures.

“Naming the current minister is a normal exercise of democratic accountability and to drag in a former minister who has long left office as a scapegoat defies logic.

“By that reasoning, should we also hold colonial-era road engineers accountable for today’s potholes?” he said.

Wong said it was regrettable that in the face of a serious public safety incident, the minister had not addressed affected parties directly.

“If SUPP retains any political decency, it should urge the minister to step forward, face the affected shop owners, and provide clear answers — instead of playing word games,” he said.

He stressed that the people of Sibu want solutions, not historical arguments.

“They want answers today: What do we do with the losses? What measures will prevent future collapses?” he said.

Wong reiterated that he has never evaded lawful scrutiny but would not accept politically motivated accusations without evidence.

“Accountability must be grounded in facts and law, not media headlines. If political manoeuvring continues while no immediate remedial action is taken with the affected losses, the people will lose faith,” he said.

He urged all parties to approach the matter rationally and in accordance with institutional procedures and the rule of law.

“Public affairs must not become election tools. Institutions must be respected. Laws must be upheld. Ultimately, the people will judge.”

Read Entire Article