Mustapha Sakmud: Indian consulate proposal under study, Malaysia will defend Sabah sovereignty

1 hour ago 3
ADVERTISE HERE

Mustapha fielding questions from reporters at the Ukhuwah Madani programme.

KOTA KINABALU (Feb 22): While discussions continue over a possible Indian consulate in Sabah, Malaysia will continue to safeguard its sovereignty amid renewed remarks from the Philippines on its longstanding claim over the state.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Sabah and Sarawak Affairs) Datuk Ts Mustapha Sakmud said the proposal to establish an Indian diplomatic mission in Sabah remains under consideration.

He said the matter had been discussed at Cabinet level following a request raised by India’s prime minister, adding that both the Sabah government and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (KLN) are studying whether there is a need.

“What happened is that this came following a request during engagements with India.

“As a sign of respect, we said we would consider it. There is no decision yet,” he told reporters during the Ukhuwah Madani programme at Masjid Al Muhajirin in Kampung Warisan, Sepanggar on Sunday, which saw 10,000 packs of ‘bubur lambuk’ distributed to nearby residents.

The Sepanggar MP noted that the proposal could be assessed in light of expectations of increased tourist arrivals from India and the need to facilitate visitors if justified.

The suggestion has drawn mixed reactions locally, with some seeing potential benefits in strengthening trade, investment and tourism ties, while others have questioned priorities and called for clearer explanations.

Mustapha said views raised by the public, including suggestions for other consular representation such as from the Philippines, are being noted.

On recent remarks by the Philippines reiterating its claim over Sabah, Mustapha said the issue is not new and stressed that Malaysia will continue to defend its sovereignty.

“We as Malaysians will continue to defend the sovereignty of our country. Sabah and Sarawak agreed to form Malaysia. This is our country and we will safeguard it,” he said.

He added that any external claims would be handled wisely through the appropriate channels involving both the state and federal governments, including the KLN.

Malaysia maintains that Sabah became part of the federation in 1963, and that any claims will be managed through diplomatic means.

The Philippines’ claim, rooted in historical links to the former Sultanate of Sulu, has periodically resurfaced, although Malaysia considers the matter settled.

For now, Mustapha said the proposal for an Indian consulate remains under study, with any decision to take into account Sabah’s interests and overall diplomatic considerations.

Read Entire Article